by Jon Lindquist | Last updated June 17th, 2019
A Trolling Motor Plug is a device that facilitates the set up of a trolling motor to the boat. Using this you can easily detach a motor without the need to disconnect the hard wiring. Most trolling motors come with mounts and release plates. These make it easy for you to remove the wiring from the motor.
The trolling motor plug has a functionality similar to any regular electrical plug. There are two parts of a motor plug: one is the plug and the other is the receptacle. Like that of an electrical outlet, the plug is inserted into the receptacle. The electricity then flows to the trolling motor from the batteries. If you need to remove the electrical connection from the trolling motor, you can easily remove the plug from the receptacle.
- This trolling motor plug has a maximum rating of 40 amps.
- It has an ergonomic design that features a contoured grip. This facilitates the set up by making the hook-up easy. The plug also includes ground blade alignment.
- The motor plug has been manufactured using corrosion resistant materials. It comprises of brass plated electrical components which are long-lasting and damage resistant.
- The motor plug has a cover that makes it weather-proof, protecting it from rain. It has been assembled using o-ring seal which makes the motor plug waterproof.
- This motor plus is compatible with 16 to 8 AWG wire.
- The dimensions of this motor plug are 6x5x2 inches. The weight of this product is 0.8 ounces.
- The housing of the plug is made using soft rubber so that there is no free spinning.
- The installation and wiring process is very convenient.
- The instructions that come with the product are poorly written.
- The measurements of this motor plug are 6 x 3 x 3 inches. It has a weight of 1.44 ounces.
- This motor plug has an internal jumper that is used to supply power of 12 volts and 24 volts. The plug has to be attached to the receptacle of the trolling motor.
- This motor plug has a maximum rating of 60 amps.
- By using a 4 wire charging device, you will no longer need to use a run or charge switch.
- After installing the receptacle on the vessel, you need to mount the black plug to the motor and attach the red plug to the battery charger.
- The voltage and amp information is printed on the plug itself.
- The universal design of this motor plug makes it compatible with a 2 or 3 wire setup.
- The motor plug can this used with the following voltage systems: 12, 24, 12/24, 24/36, 36 and 48.
- This device has a 70A continuous rating.
- It is compatible with up to 6 AWG wire.
- The receptacle consists of a sealing cap that makes the device watertight. It is therefore safe from any damage made due to exposure to moisture.
- The motor plug includes an integrated strain relief.
- The device has a keyed design along with a thumbprint locator.
- The dimensions of this product are 9 x 9 x 3 inches. The weight of this device includes 8 ounces.
- The plug does not get warm even when used with high thrust trolling motors.
- The back of the receptacle has a threaded lock nut that gets stripped out easily.
- The motor plug is manufactured using electrical components that are resistant to corrosion.
- The device features a watertight sealing cap that prevents it from being damaged by exposure to water.
- The motor plus is compatible with a standard mounting hole of 1 ⅛”.
- The universal design of the motor plug supports systems of 2 or 3 wires.
- The devices work on systems with voltages 12 to 36.
- The dimensions of this product are 9.1 x 5 x 2.3
- The plug provides good quality sealing for the trolling motor.
- Does not accept larger gauge wire such as AWG 6.
A motor plug is recommended to be used with an electric trolling motor so that it can be easily installed and removed. You should look at factors such as the product dimensions or the voltage before purchasing. A motor plug made of waterproof and weather resistant material is also important for the longevity of your device.
Recent 180 Reviews
- Best Straight Razors 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Saltwater Trolling Motors 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Portable Bleachers 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Electric All-Terrain Vehicles 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best DJ Mixers – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide 2019
- Best Kneeboards 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Skateboard Ramps 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Under Desk Elliptical 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Plyometric Boxes 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Exercise Slide Boards 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide