Best Saltwater Trolling Motors
Fishing is an enjoyable and relaxing hobby that has stood the test of time. Many of us have some memory of going fishing with our families when we were younger, but if not, it’s never too late to start making new memories. Just like any other activity, fishing can be frustrating without the proper equipment. As time has progressed since the early days of fishing with a line and a stick, the fishing and boating technology used by angling enthusiasts has been upgraded as well.
A trolling motor keeps your boat moving steadily and smoothly so that you can worry less about piloting and focus on the important stuff, like catching fish. Trolling motors are available in both gas and electric models, each with its own respective benefits. No matter which you choose, your trolling motor will help you move around the water effortlessly. You’ll be able to get to all the hot spots and enjoy the serenity of the outdoors around you.
If you’re ready to take your fishing game to the next level, it’s time to strap a trolling motor on your vessel and get down to it! Get started by reading our reviews of the best saltwater trolling motors for sale today.
Electric Trolling Motors
Electric trolling motors can function in both salt water and fresh water. They’re usually quiet, and they’re better for the environment than their gas counterparts. They provide adequate thrust and can be directed with Bluetooth capabilities. Take a look at our electric trolling motor reviews below.
Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra 112 60″ Shaft 112 lbs Thrust 36V Trolling Motor With i-Pilot Link and Bluetooth
This is a top-of-the-line saltwater trolling motor that will meet all your needs. Equipped with an automatic mode, you can set it and forget it as the motor steers you from one spot to another. The relaxing ride makes it more than easy to fish off the side of your boat. Controlled with a Bluetooth smartphone app, this model can locate the best spots for fishing and transport you there in no time. Its autopilot system will manage directions with ease.
Its powerful motors offer a unique thrust that maintains an even speed. The Minn Kota Riptide was produced with durable materials that are made to last. With a terrova foot pedal, the ability to switch from automatic to manual control is simple. This trolling motor is powered by a 36-volt battery, and you will get five times the battery runtime of other trolling motors. It also has an energy-saving feature to help save battery life, so you can spend a lot more time on the water.
Features & Benefits
- The only trolling motor that can stow and deploy itself with the push of a button, this motor provides anglers convenient control via the included i-Pilot Link remote, foot pedal (sold separately), or Humminbird fish finder (sold separately).
- Trim the Riptide Ulterra up or down at the push of a button to adjust to changing fishing conditions without having to reach down to your trolling motor.
- Using GPS to lock onto fishing spots with Spot-Lock, record and retrace paths, command speed, the i-Pilot Link system allows you to control your motor from the remote or from a virtual remote on your Humminbird fishfinder (sold separately).
- Minn Kota Riptide motors are designed with advanced corrosion protection and fully-encapsulated electronics to ensure the ultimate saltwater defense.
- This Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra has a 60-inch shaft length, features 112 pounds of thrust (36 volts), and includes a heading sensor, mounting hardware and cabling, and i-Pilot Link GPS system.
Newport Vessels Kayak Series 36 lb/55 lb Thrust Transom Mounted Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor With LED Battery Indicator (24" Shaft)
Available in both 36 lb and 55 lb thrust power models, the Newport Vessels Kayak Series trolling motor is a valuable piece of equipment that won’t let you down. Thanks to a 24-inch fiberglass shaft, users can enjoy variable depth placement and durable performance. With eight speeds (five forward and three reverse) and a telescoping handle, you have complete control over your ride.
The all-aluminum motor head with corrosion-resistant magnesium and stainless steel hardware makes this trolling motor perfect for saltwater. The weight distribution configuration is a breeze, as there are extra long cables that allow for versatility in placement. Add a two-year warranty and you’ve found yourself a winner!
Features & Benefits
- KAYAK SHAFT: 24-inch fiberglass shaft allows for variable depth placement while offering a lifetime of dependable performance.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 8 speeds (5 forward & 3 Reverse) with a 6-inch telescoping handle puts you in total control of your ride.
- SALTWATER RATED: Durable all-aluminum motor head w/ corrosion resistant magnesium, zinc, and stainless-steel hardware for saltwater use (Lead-Acid DC 12V).
- EXTRA LONG CABLES: 5'6" battery cables allow for versatile battery placement for optimal weight distribution.
- USA WARRANTY & SERVICE: Newport Vessels is based in California with a full in-house customer service team (M-F 9am-5pm PST). For any questions or concerns, contact us directly!
- 2 Year Warranty - We stand behind every product we make with industry-leading customer service and a 2 Year Warranty.
MotoGuide Xi5 60″ Bow Mount 105 lb Saltwater 36V Trolling Motor With GPS
The versatility, power, and precision of the Xi5 trolling motor are unmatched in the industry. Featuring a bow mount that rides along a wireless system, you can relax from any area of the boat and confidently maneuver. The wireless foot pedal attached to this trolling motor is easy to use and helps make both freshwater and saltwater fishing that much easier.
The smooth-sounding engine does not scare fish away from your vessel—you’ll stay right on top of them as you cast line after line. Thanks to durable materials and a 60-inch shaft, you won’t be replacing this engine any time soon, which is why purchase comes with a lifetime warranty. Keep in mind, with 105 pounds of thrusting power, you’ll be able to tackle strong waves.
LED lights provide visibility in low light, allowing pilots to see the four key functions of the motor controls at any time of day. You will need three 12-volt batteries or a 12-volt with a 24-volt battery. The batteries are not included, but investing in this trolling motor will give you good runtime, as the battery power is high.
Overall, this saltwater trolling motor is a perfect addition to a fishing boat. You can also use it on a kayak or another standard boat. However, you need to make sure the weight of the boat is suitable for the motor.
Features & Benefits
- The Xi5 includes wireless capability "right out of the box", anglers can command precise motor and steering control from anywhere on the boat
- Wireless foot pedal is standard with freshwater models. Plus, we've made it stealthy quiet, and Silky smooth
- The Xi5 uses LED lights in the controller so anglers can quickly check the status of four key functions in any light conditions.
- The battery power indicator uses different colored lights to show three levels of Battery life in real-time
- The composite shaft can take on any and all obstructions that get in its way. It'll bend but won't break. That's why it's Backed with a Lifetime Warranty
Newport Vessels 55 lb Thrust Eight Speed Electric Trolling Motor
As is evident from its name, this trolling motor comes with a 55 lb thrust for overcoming waves and wind. The powerful motor has variable speeds to give you good speed against strong waves. A unique feature of this motor is the 30-inch shaft. It is a composite, strong, fiberglass shaft that can be mounted with the heavy-duty nylon piece for the handle, making handling easier.
The zinc-aluminum and stainless steel design make this motor perfect for handling saltwater and the complexities that are involved with trolling motor maintenance. The powerful aluminum capsule design can combat strong waves perfectly. You won’t lose speed in the water as you travel from spot to spot. This versatile trolling motor works for both kayaks and small boats. With eight speeds to choose from, five of which are forward and three of which are reverse, maneuverability is never an issue.
Features & Benefits
- EFFICIENT POWER: 55lb Thrust - this 12v electric trolling motor provides excellent power and efficiency for any boater. The high-quality build allows the motor to run all day long without overheating, or making noise to spook fish
- FEATURES: This motor features a 30-inch shaft, a 5 LED battery meter, a 6-inch telescoping tiller handle, and 3 blade propeller. The mount angle, height, and direction can all be adjusted and locked into place when needed
- SPEED: This motor has 8 speeds, 5 forward and 3 reverse. The motor is designed for trolling, so the top speed of this motor is about 4mph, but depends on your boat shape, weight, water, wind, and other factors. Our 3 Blade Propeller gives the motor great low end torque to get the boat moving
- BATTERY: The NV 55lb motor requires one (1) 12V Lead-Acid Deep Cycle or Lithium Deep Cycle battery (battery not included), 50ah recommended. The motor also includes a 50amp circuit breaker which is recommended at all times to protect from battery voltage surges. Max Amp Draw: 52A
- QUALITY & RELIABILITY: All Newport motors are made to high-quality stainless steel, magnesium, and zinc hardware to withstand fresh water and saltwater environments. We stand behind every product we make with industry-leading customer service and a 2-year warranty
Gas Trolling Motors
Thanks to their high performance and reliable quality, gas motors have been a staple throughout the fishing community. Made with long-lasting materials, they can withstand the rigorous challenges of saltwater while being quiet and agile enough to provide a smooth ride in freshwater.
Seadog Water Sports Outboard Motor
Thanks to a 20-inch stainless steel shaft, the modular design of the Seadog Water Sports Outboard Motor makes it one of the best saltwater trolling motors on the market. An aluminum mount and high-quality stainless steel make this a reliable motor that won’t corrode, bend, or require much maintenance. The aluminum is perfect for usage in saltwater.
Perfect for large or heavy jon boats and skiffs requiring a long shaft as well as auxiliary power, these motors have the thrust to propel your boat forward at a steady pace. This trolling motor has electronic fuel injection (EFI) and is the lightest outboard in the 20hp 4-stroke class. It is saltwater-rated and has a freshwater flushing port with multilayer corrosion protection. Overall, this is a user-friendly and highly efficient trolling motor.
Features & Benefits
- Professional standards performance, Engine air cooling system
- Perfect match inflatable boats, fishing boats, sailboats, and small yachts.
- Durable----Economical and compact structure. Durable, lightweight, and anti-corrosive construction.
- Quiet Driving----Works with little noise. Suitable for: Freshwater and saltwater
- Engine type: Single cylinder, 2 stroke, air-cooled
Hangkai 18HP Gas Saltwater Motor
You’ve invested in a colossal boat, so are you ready for a powerful trolling motor with a range that exceeds the others? This is just the motor for you. Providing a large, powerful thrust and capable of sailing four tons of boat at a good speed, the Hangkai 18HP Saltwater Motor is impressive.
Designed with efficiency in mind, this two-cylinder, 18 horsepower motor goes faster speeds than other gas motors in its class. The shaft and fasteners are made of 304 stainless steel, making them high-quality and resistant to breaks. The transom mount, manufactured with saltwater-grade aluminum, is built for an excellent performance.
The 246 cc displacement is enough to get you around wherever you need to go. Overall, this is a very user-friendly motor with high-performing features. The two-stroke water cooling engine will consume less energy and help reduce the cost, making this a comparatively cheap trolling motor. Fishing will be even more relaxing while you’re spending less money without having to worry about quality.
Features & Benefits
- 2 Stroke 18HP Outboard Boat Engine - Water Cooling Technology To Improve The Reliability Of The Whole Machine. Compact design, large tank capacity, fuel-saving, strong horsepower, superior performance, environmental protection, durable.
- Convenient - Features 360-degree steering rotation for reverse without gear shifting. Start-In-Gear protection/clutch feature prohibits prop rotation while idling. Easy pull-off engine cover with a push-button latch for instant motor access.
- Description - The machine can run in the maximum throttle continuous operation, power attenuation, with circulating oil lubrication system and direct bearing supporting precision, smooth operation, and quiet, sound design, excellent noise smaller and more comfortable to use.
- Wide Application - Perfect match inflatable boats, fishing boats, sailboats, and small yachts. Performance More Superior, quick start, positions the motor at several angles.
Enshey 3.6 HP Outboard Motor Four-Stroke Inflatable 55 CC Fishing Boat Engine
Equipped with a standard CDI ignition system and a superior engine water cooling system, this beauty by Enshey is built for an excellent performance. The durable cast aluminum construction offers serious corrosion protection. The outboard is fixed with an anti-corrosion system and anodes that provide for increased durability. Also, the prop exhaust outlet decreases noise and pollutants, allowing you to quietly navigate the waters to find the hot spots you’ve been looking for all day.
Features & Benefits
- Superior engine water cooling system for improved engine performance.
- Through the prop exhaust outlet for decreased noise and pollutants.
- Standard CDI ignition system for easy starting and improved performance.
- Superior outboard anti-corrosion system and anodes for increased durability.
- Durable cast aluminum construction for superior corrosion protection.
Cozyel 3.5 HP Heavy-Duty Boat Motor Two-Stroke Outboard Motor Boat Engine With Water Air Cooling System
Featuring 360-degree steering capabilities and reversing without gear shifting, the Cozyel Heavy Duty Boat Motor is a beast that can handle all your trolling needs. A Standard CDi ignition system makes for easy starting and improved performance. Thanks to a superior engine water cooling system, this motor allows users to enjoy the increased performance while maintaining durable usage. Cast aluminum construction and superior corrosion protection mean that this motor can handle the saltiest waters around.
Features & Benefits
- Features 360-degree steering rotation for reverse without gear shifting
- Start-In-Gear protection/clutch feature prohibits prop rotation while idling
- Standard CDI ignition system for easy starting and improved performance
- Superior engine water cooling system for improved engine performance; Durable cast aluminum construction for superior corrosion protection.
Coleman 2.6 HP Four-Stroke Outboard Motor
What are you looking for when you think of the perfect outboard motor for your boat? If the dream motor is built for performance, quality, and power, then you can check those boxes off your list with this Coleman model. Of course, it’s great for a fishing boat, but you can also tap into its features on a small yacht or an inflatable boat. Use this trolling motor anywhere from your favorite lake to your favorite ocean!
Durability is the name of the game when it comes to this Coleman motor. With a high-performance engine, it can navigate rough waters with relative ease. A twist grip throttle provides superior maneuverability in both salt water and fresh water.
The four-stroke motor provides 2.6 horsepower, providing the perfect combination of power and agility that you’d need for a small or medium-sized fishing boat. It comes with a 1/3 gallon gasoline refueling system. It consumes 1.4 liters per hour at maximum speed, so this trolling motor is suitable for those economically minded fishermen.
The hand-start motor requires the use of a clutch to get going, which means you’ll need to be in range of the motor to manually start it. If you’re used to a wireless control system and push-to-start engines, this might not be the one for you.
With that being said, this motor is durable and easy to handle. It’s lightweight, making it simple to detach from your boat. It’s a great motor for fishing—it requires experience to use, but you’ll love the reliability.
Features & Benefits
- Lightweight (37.5lb), quiet, 4-stroke motor, 31-gallon internal gas Tank
- Easy start tci ignition
- F-n/360 degree steering
- 1 cylinder OHV engine
- CE & EPA Approval
- Quiet efficient 4 stroke motor
- Engineered for lightweight, quiet, reliable operation, the Coleman Four Stroke Outboard Motor is great for small boats, inflatable boats, or used as an auxiliary trolling motor.