by Jon Lindquist | Last updated April 22nd, 2019
Plyometric training was introduced in 1970, mainly for the athletes to enhance their performance. It is also referred to as ‘jump training’ and it consists of a combination of strength building activities and cardio which causes the muscles to stretch and contract fast which increases explosiveness. With the shortening of the interval between stretching and contraction of the muscles, a person becomes faster and more vigorous. Plyometrics can be practiced a few times per week but remember to give time to your muscles to regenerate. It has gained massive popularity with the rush of CrossFit training procedure. Plyometric exercises include:
- Front box jump
- Weighted lateral jumps
- Lateral box jump
- Skater Jumps
- Broad Jumps
- Dot drill
- Scissor jumps
- Barbell squat jumps
- BOSU ball burpees
- Lateral box shuffles.
Benefits of Plyometric Training:
- Increases the elasticity and strength of the tendons thus making them less prone to wear and tear.
- Improves physical speed and muscular power.
- Helps the body burn a lot of calories and hastens weight loss.
- Strengthens both upper and lower body.
- The competency of the neuromuscular system is boosted.
- Helps you develop your abilities for other sports and exercises.
- Reduces the risk of injuries.
Plyometric boxes are plyometric training essentials which ensure a safe, reliable, challenging and progressive workout rid of injuries. Even though Plyometric boxes are merely boxes for jumping on and off, not all boxes are created with the same craftsmanship or science. The pointers to keep in mind when you go for plyo box shopping are:
- Edges should be rounded and not sharp to prevent injuries.
- The jumping platform should be at least as wide as hips.
- The box should be solid and sturdy especially if it comes with adjustable heights.
- The plyo boxes should be lightweight, compact and portable.
- All the surfaces should be non-slip to ensure a safe landing.
- The best boxes must allow multi-height
- Every screw used in the box should be countersunk so that they do not keep protruding and hurt the user.
- The box should be completely contained and enclosed on the sides to prevent snagging of shins on the sides.
The Best Soft Plyo Boxes
The soft plyo box has become an indispensable part of the fitness community. Adding the soft plyo box to your workout regime is a terrific way to break the monotony and step up your everyday fitness game. Using this box, allow your body to gradually adapt to new challenges. The foam used in the construction of the soft plyo boxes significantly enhances your joint stability in the process. As you stress your ligaments and tendons around the knees and ankles while you jump onto the soft plyo boxes in an attempt to overcome the instability, you are increasing the neuromuscular proprioception. However, the main reason why soft plyo boxes are the rage is because of its ‘safety factor’. It reduces the force that affects your joints while doing jump base actions unlike hard straight-edged metal or wooden boxes that can lead to scrapes, shin injuries, and cuts.
Cross training, physical therapy or aerobic exercises, Titan Fitness pro-duty Foam Plyometric Box has got you covered. Be it at home or the gym, this high-density foam box is constructed to support all your exercises from box push-ups, box dips, and step ups to box jumps and other creative activities. This box was designed for people to challenge themselves and improve performance and hence it comes in 3 sizes: 20”, 24” and 30”. Once you get comfortable on 20”, you can simply rotate the box to add 4 to 10 inches and step up your game. The Titan Fitness Foam Plyometric Box can support up to 350lb of weight. Titan Fitness has given this box a solid foam platform that will be able to undergo countless hours of heavy workout. This plyo box is just soft enough to make you training comfortable and not tip over or tilt while you land your jumps.
- Material: Foam
- Length: 30”
- Width: 24”
- Height: 20”
- Weight: 16lb
- Material: Foam
- Length: 30”
- Width: 24”
- Height: 20”
- Weight: 67lb
- Time-saving since this box requires no assembly of parts.
- It is affordable and money-saving since each box comes with 3 sizes.
- This box has been designed to have a soft and slip-free surface which will not hurt your shins and increase stability.
- This plyometric box supports multiple and various sorts of exercises.
- Its solid foam platform backs prolonged hours of workouts and heavyweight athletes effectively.
- Might feel wobbly because of its light weight, especially, the 30-inch
This is definitely a wonderful buy for those who want to enhance their regular workout routine with innumerable hours of intense plyometric workout which not only strengthens the leg and core muscles but also contributes to a great total body toning workout. It is built from high-quality foam that promises longevity. Grab this box which is just the thing for a home garage box before stocks run out.
The Gronks definitely know what they are doing. They have been in the fitness equipment industry for over 27 years and have successfully set up both commercial and home innumerable training centers, gyms and fitness studios. The Gronk Fitness 3-in-1 Soft Sided Ballast Plyometrics Box is a compact and stable plyo box that comes with a Shifting Low center of gravity. It has been designed with the patent-pending WeightShift Technology which gives it optimal balance and constancy. This efficiently reduces shifting and tilting of the box, no matter how heavy your workout routine is. You can customize your workouts and make various adjustments using this 20”, 24” and 30” tall plyo box. Keep rotating the box to get your preferred height and carry on. The wooden core is surrounded with multilayered foam covering which makes it soft and safe. The vinyl covering prevents abrasion even after arduous use.
- Contains 3 ballast balls inside of 6” diameter and 12lbs weight each.
- The thickness of the foam pad is 3”
- Houses .6” wooden board constructed core
- Total weight: 75lbs
- Length: 30”
- Height: 24”
- Width: 20”
- The longevity of this plyo box is high due to the durable vinyl cover that resists wear and tear.
- The vinyl cover makes cleaning up this box easy too so you do not let footprints and dirt stains irk you.
- It is compact and space saving.
- The foam covering reduces the risk of injuries.
- The Gronk Fitness 3-in-1 Soft Sided Ballast Plyometrics Box is portable and protective.
- Its WeightShift technology makes it free from tipping over.
- the Gronk Fitness 3-in-1 Soft Sided Ballast Plyometrics Box can come in a bit expensive compared to others.
- Shipping this box is quite tricky.
If you are looking for a box that will elevate your regular training program, easily portable, this is definitely the one for you. Burn those calories with this convenient workout equipment designed with the most superior technology for user comfort. Even though it might come across a little bit more expensive in comparison with its counterparts, it is worth every penny.
This 3-in-1 Weighted Pro-Plyo Box by Sunny Health and Fitness is ideal for intense leg and core movements as it comes with 30” 24” 20” adjustable heights. Exercises involving the core and leg muscles have proved to boost numerous athletic schemes in young as well as adult athletes. This can support up to 440 lbs of weight. This box is made as a perfect fit for your training level and objective. Anybody and everybody, from professional footballers to weekend warriors can perk up their competitive performance with the most minimal plyometric sessions.
- Product dimensions: 30x24x20 inches
- Weight: 53.5 pounds
- Price: $173.97
- The vinyl covering of the weighted foam plyometric box is sweat and tear-resistant which protects the box from decay and damage.
- You can avoid training plateaus and enhance your performance owing to its adjustable heights.
- The foam weighted interior has been so constructed to tolerate the toughest workouts.
- Easy to assemble.
- Even though it can take a load of up to 440lbs, for weight lifters of 300lbs who want to do 50 lb dumbbell step ups using the box, might be pushing it too far with the weight limit.
This sturdy box is exactly what you need at your home or fitness studio if you want an effective plyometric workout where you can actively engage your muscles full out without having to worry about tipping over or losing control. Easy to carry, easy to set up, the Sunny Health & Fitness 3 in 1 Weighted Pro- Plyo Box is a must have if you are looking for effective plyometric and cross fit training.
The Synergee 3-in-1 Plyo box is easy to assemble and a crafty plyometric box that you can use to do a wide range of exercises from box step ups or jumps, dips, burpee variations to elevated push-ups, accessory work and many more. The dense foam core has a softer foam surrounding all around and also comes with an anti-slip shell. The box is soft enough to save you from any sort of injuries yet sturdy enough to support the most intense plyometric activities. You can simply rotate the box to change the heights and challenge yourself for more gains.
- Shell material: Non-Slip PVC
- Maximum weight: 450lbs
- The Box core: ultra high-density foam
- Surrounding material: soft high-density foam
- Product dimensions: 14.2 x 12.2 x 16.1
- Item weight: 17lbs
- Price: $129.95
- Each box offers 3 varying levels of intensity to work with. Hence it is money and space saving.
- It is the ultimate equipment that can be used to build leg power.
- Synergee has taken care that every plywood is sanded and smoothened to ensure safety while using it.
- It comes with an anti-slip shell and multiple foams covering to reduce the risk of injuries.
- You are required to assemble the box before you can start training which without proper instructions can become time-consuming.
Overall, the Synergee 3-in-1 Plyo box is sturdy, smooth and well built which makes it an essential for daily CrossFit training. The product is definitely a steal at this price and the outer covering alluring and handy. The box is ideal for all sorts of workout, be it lightweight or heavy.
This is a piece of the important equipment in developing or building your strength. You can use Yes4All 3-in-1 Foam Plyo Box to lift your jumping capacity in addition to boosting your agility, cardiovascular endurance, power, explosiveness, food speed, and total body strength. With this box, you can incorporate squats, lunges, and dips, and step-ups into your traditional box jump workout routine. You can be assured of a safe experience while using this box owing to its high density foam which efficiently protects your joints. This box is sturdy enough to support various plyometric activities. This 3-in-1 plyo box gives you 3 different levels of difficulty from beginners to advanced. Just simply rotate the box to increase the height from 20” to 24” to 30”. Although it is always recommended to consult a professional trainer or physician before you decide to undergo any sort of physical training especially with the 30” height setting.
- Weight: 15.5lbs
- Weight capacity: 350lbs
- Colour: Black -Green
- Jump height options: 20”, 24”, 30” (50.8cm, 61cm, 76.2cm)
- Has an ultra Dense PE Foam Core
- All six sides have a soft foam padding
- It comes with a vinyl leather cover marked with height increment.
- Saves space, money, and efforts since no assembling of parts is required.
- You can use this plyo box to do various sorts of plyometric, MMA and CrossFit workouts and HIIT exercises.
- The PVC covering enables easy and convenient cleaning up of the equipment. You do not have to worry about footprints or dirt stains.
- The PVC covering also makes it slip proof thus saving you from shin scratching on missing steps.
- It is not safe to use Yes4All 3-in-1 Foam Plyo Box on smooth flooring like wood or smooth tiles.
Here is why you should purchase the Yes4All 3-in-1 Foam Plyo Box- it is versatile training equipment that has been made with high quality dense soft foam for safety purposes, easy to adjust and allows you the liberty to personalize your fitness program. Do not think twice and perk up your regular training program with this fun and challenging equipment.
The Best Hard Plyo Boxes
Hard plyo boxes are usually made of steel or wood. Usually, the wooden boxes are available at a cheaper rate compared to other plyo boxes. The solid sides of the wood boxes also make it a safer option. The metal plyo boxes have been designed with a wider base than the top for better support with legs holding the base and the top together. The metal plyo boxes are typically conceived for stacking which makes it ideal to take up low storage space and makes it suitable for setting it up in your homes and garages. It lets you incorporate new heights to your workout without taking up much space.
Each Garage Fit 3-in-1 Wood plyo box gives you 3 different heights to choose from. This is how you can challenge yourself and build your performance. Your plyometric box workout may include lateral box jumps, kneeling box jumps, box jumps, depth jumps, box squats, and step ups with knee thrusts among others. It can bear up to 400lbs of weight. It is shipped flat to save money and prevent damage. Therefore, you are required to assemble the parts which are very simple and hassle-free. Assembling takes hardly 30 minutes and it is recommended to use an electric screwdriver. The Garage Fit 3-in-1 Wood Plyo box has 3 variations: (20”x24”x30”), (18”x20”x24”) and (12”x14”x16”). The 3-in-1 feature also makes the box very compact which saves space and money.
- Package dimensions: 17.4×16.4×5.1 inches
- Weight: 15.4lbs
- Plywood thickness: 3/ 4”
- Price: $69.95- $239.95
- Setting up the equipment is hassle-free.
- The 24x20x16 box comes with an internal reinforcing brace.
- The boxes come with rounded edges to prevent you from getting hurt.
- The box has puzzle joints and bracing which deems it fit to back almost 400lbs of weight.
- You can add new height to your vertical leap.
- The wood used is robust and well sanded thus there is no need to worry about splinters.
- The 16” side might be too small for landing.
- This plyometric box lacks pre-installed non-skid material which might become risky while doing certain exercises.
- The screws stick out around 1mm even after using an electric drill.
This is a perfect pick for those who are looking for a sturdy, efficient, solid and reasonable plyometric box for group training. Get this lightweight box with excellent build and give your workout routine a new and more challenging outlook. Leg days will be a piece of cake now!
The Shogun Sports 3 in 1 Wood Plyometric Box is a great tool for full body workouts. The box has been designed for maximum durability and safe and efficient plyometric training from beginner level to advance. This box is available in 4 sizes: 30/24/20, 24/20/16, 20/18/16 and 16/14/12. Each box has 3 height variations which let you make your workouts more challenging with time. You can use this compact equipment anywhere, be it in your garage or fitness studio. The boxes ensure a warranty period of 1 year. Every surface, handle and the edge is sanded to avoid scraping. The larger boxes come with an internal brace for stability and durability. The boxes are shipped flat to save space and money and prevent damage. It already has predrilled holes and interlocking joints which makes assembling the parts hassle free and also very durable.
- Package dimensions: 21x19x5 inches
- Item weight: 29lbs
- Maximum load: 450lbs
- Pine plywood panels 3/ 4” in thickness
- CNC machined
- Price: $77.99
- Easy to assemble and hence time-saving.
- The box comes with handles which make it easily portable.
- The manual that comes along with this is also easy to follow.
- The box has sanded edges and surfaces which make it safe to use.
- Countersink screws and support are included in the package.
- The box is running the risk of slipping on tiled floors and hence requires a non-slip mat.
Upgrade your conditioning and strength facility and take your training to the next level with the Shogun Sports Plyometric Box. This box has been approved by personal trainers, US Veterans and Cross Fit Gyms which makes it a must buy for plyometric enthusiasts. Easy to put together, portable and extremely durable, this box is perfectly suited for box squats at variable heights. So do not delay and get this extremely versatile box and get started on your body.
The X Training Equipment 3 in 1 Plyometric Jump Box is great for CrossFit Plyo Box Workouts. The equipment offers adjustable heights- 30”, 24” and 20”. All you have to do is simply rotate the box and you are good to step up your game. It is made from Grade A plywood with 3/ 4” in thickness. This box comes with cut-out handles which makes it easily portable. The box has been designed with rounded corners for security and stance and internal braces for stability and balance. Once you assemble the parts, you are all set to start your training.
- Package dimensions: 30.5x25x5.3 inches
- Item weight: 50.8lbs
- Price: $149
- It comes for a reasonable price.
- The parts are easy to assemble using basic tools.
- The material used in its construction is durable and sturdy.
- The box comes with pre-drilled holes.
- The box comes with mounting hardware.
- It does not come with assembling instructions which might become time-consuming.
This 3-in-1 plyometric jump box by X Training is a winner. The box is a perfect fit for your home, garage gym, college gym or fitness studio. You can use this solid, well constructed, inexpensive plyometric box for your daily burn LTF workouts. You can also carry the box easily with you wherever you go. So do not let your vacations make you lazy!
Increase your strength, stamina, power, and speed and get faster, leaner, stronger and fitter with the Power Guidance 3-in-1 Wood Plyometric Jump Box. This plyometric box by Power Guidance works for beginners, high-level athletes and even martial artists. Fire up your workout regime with this box which is great for cross fitness training. The boxes are toughly built with 3/ 4” thick construction grade plywood. It is available in 3 sizes- 20”x24”x30”, 18”x20”x24” and 12”x14”x30”. The smallest box does not even require center support. The bigger boxes are provided with center support due to their larger surface areas for utmost strength. The boxes are of 51.6lb, 38.4lb, and 15.4lb respectively. This is a money saver since using just one box you can challenge yourself with 3 varying heights by simply turning the box.
- Product dimensions: 19.7×23.6×29.9 inches
- Item weight: 56.4lbs
- Maximum load: 350lbs.
- Price: $119.99
- Includes packaged screws for easy assembly.
- The edges are numbered on the inside which helps during assembling the parts.
- The plyometric box has an advanced design with rounded edges to prevent injuries.
- In order to protect the exterior, the box has a poly coating on the outside.
- The 16” surface area of the plyometric jump box is undersized for landing jumps.
- The box is prone to slip on tiled floors and hence requires a non-slip pad.
If you are in search of a promising and sturdy, long lasting plyo box, this is the one for you. The Power Guidance 3-in-1 Wood Plyometric Jump Box is a great way to enhance your capabilities as a fitness enthusiast. Dare yourself to new heights of CrossFit training and indulge in a total body workout with this easy to use and durable plyometric box.
You can intensify and accelerate your regular workout regime with this steel, red and black plyometric boxes brought to you j/fit. The box is promising enough to bear the most demanding workout needs. This box is appealing for both beginners and advanced level athletes. Unlike other plyo boxes which might get dismantled while under pressure, j/fit has manufactured plyo box platforms which do not run the risk of falling apart and you can carry on with your total body workout in full swing. The sides of this equipment are wielded; requires no screws on the outside and significantly reduces the risks of scratching and scraping. This box is ideal for elevated, box jumps, split squats, step ups, lateral stepovers, and burpee stepovers among others. j/fit has successfully presented before you a superb way to tone up your muscles, boost your stamina and burn calories. It is perfect for gyms, CrossFit sessions, hockey training facilities, college facilities, and home. The entire equipment consists of 4 sets of stackable plyometric platforms which makes it compact and efficient for storage. It has been made available in 4 sizes:
- 12” box- 13×13” top, 14×14” base
- 18” box- 14×14” top, 18×18” base
- 24” box- 15×15” top, 21×21” base
- 30” box- 16×16” top, 23×23” base
- Product dimensions: 31x24x24 inches
- Weight: 58lbs
- Colour: Red and Black
- Price: $228.51
- j/fit plyometric boxes are portable.
- The boxes have a stylish appeal to them.
- It guarantees a safe and stable workout as it comes with non-slip rubber stoppers, corner grips, and mats.
- It is constructed from steel which makes it indestructible and tough.
- The bottoms have rubber stoppers which prevent the boxes from slipping thus maintain the posture.
- The platforms are stackable which saves time and space.
- The box comes at a reasonable price.
- No assembly required.
- The platform covering is not of rubber but vinyl which makes it slippery.
- The structure of the j/fit plyometric box makes it susceptible to damage while shipping
- The rubbers on the bottoms easily fall off.
- The entire 4 boxes have to be unstacked if you want to take out just the small box which makes it time-consuming.
- The box is underweight and runs the risk of tipping over.
Owing to its compactness, durability and look, j/fit plyometric box is an excellent choice for plyometric enthusiasts out there. This is one set every athlete, be it a novice or professional, should have for their training routine at the comfort of their home, fitness studio or the gymnasium. Improve your leg and core muscles while toning your entire body with the j/fit plyometric box.
Recent 180 Reviews
- Best Straight Razors 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Saltwater Trolling Motors 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Portable Bleachers 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Electric All-Terrain Vehicles 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best DJ Mixers – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide 2019
- Best Kneeboards 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Skateboard Ramps 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Under Desk Elliptical 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Plyometric Boxes 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Exercise Slide Boards 2019 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide