Best Hiking Backpacks | WhatIs180.com
Reviews of the Best Hiking Backpacks
One of the most important pieces of gear to have when setting out for an outdoor adventure is a good hiking pack. A hiking backpack that offers comfort, protection, and ample storage for the rest of your camping equipment will make a big difference on outings of all kinds, from short jaunts and day trips to extended hiking and camping excursions.
If you aren’t sure exactly what you’re looking for in a hiking pack, our camping backpack reviews will steer you in the right direction. Read over our list of the best hiking backpacks for sale today—you’re sure to find more than a few good options for your next trek through the wilderness.
Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Packable Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack
The first piece of gear in our list of the best hiking backpacks, the Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Backpack is perfect for daytime camping, cycling, hiking, fishing, and every activity in between. Made with high-quality tear- and water-resistant nylon, heavy-duty metal zippers, and enhanced bar tacks at major stress points, this ultralight backpack is known for its strength and durability.
Weighing in at only .7 pounds, this hiking pack is comfortable to carry and compact enough to fit just about anywhere. The breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding contribute to the comfortable fit, and the pack itself has a large capacity, with multiple compartments for all your gear.
- Upgraded Wet Pocket Design - Venture Pal backpack stands out with a more humane design for easy and convenient use. One waterproof wet pocket is added to the main compartment, a zipper on the back of this backpack which led to the internal wet pocket, to better separate sweaty clothes, towels, or other personal things after swimming or taking exercise.
- Durable Material - This backpack is made of high-quality tear and water-resistant nylon fabric, heavy-duty metal zippers, and enhanced by bar-tacks at major stress points provide long-lasting durability against daily activities. The extra strength provided by the double-layer bottom piece makes it possible to carry more stuff.
- Compact & Comfortable - It weighs only 0.7 pounds, can easily fold into its own pocket for storage, and unfold when you need it. Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. The chest clip with a whistle buckle works perfectly to distribute the pack’s weight and keep it steady and centered. A must-have for sports, hiking, camping, and traveling.
- Large Capacity & Multi Compartment - With 40L storage space, this backpack features with multi-compartment design that includes one main zipped compartment, one zipped front pockets, and two side pockets. One separator and one small zippered pocket in the main compartment are convenient enough to help you further organize things. Large capacity helps you easily organize all your essential items.
TETON Sports Explorer 4000 Internal Frame Backpack
Built for adventures of all kinds, the TETON Sports Explorer 4000 is an internal frame hiking backpack made with both comfort and extreme durability in mind. Featuring adjustable shoulder straps and a padded back panel channeled for ample airflow, you can fully adjust this hiking pack to suit your needs and size. Another great feature: pass-through side pockets for things like tent poles, trekking poles, and any other irregularly sized gear you might be carrying.
If you’re looking for a hiking pack that’s ready to rock in a variety of scenarios and for different lengths of time, the TETON Sports Explorer is a strong contender for one of the best hiking backpacks in its price range.
- Capacity: 65 Liters
- Dimensions (filled): 32" x 18" x 12" (81.3 x 45.7 x 30.5 cm)
- Torso Length Adjustment: 19" - 23" (48 - 58.4 cm)
- Pack weight: 5 lbs (2.3 kg)
- Sleeping Bag Compartment Sizes: 13.5” x 10” x 7” (34 x 25.5 x 18 cm)
FENGDONG 40L Waterproof Lightweight Hiking, Camping, Travel Backpack
Another lightweight backpack geared toward day trips and shorter hikes, the Fengdong 40L hiking pack is fit for camping, hiking, kayaking, and other outdoor excursions. Featuring water-resistant and anti-abrasion polyester along with breathable mesh padding, the Fengdong is designed for both durability and comfort. With a 40L capacity, this hiking backpack has a variety of pockets for conveniently storing anything you might need on your next adventure.
- Water Resistant & DURABLE: Waterproof Material included. FENGDONG camping backpack is made of extra-thick, tear-resistant, water-resistant, and anti-abrasion polyester fiber. All stress points are reinforced with bar tacking to increase its longevity.
- Breathable Mesh Padding: Stylish DayPack with the ventilated mesh padding shoulder straps and backside, breathable system, and lightweight design are the perfect hiking backpack for outdoor sports. Ergonomically designed provides body comfort even when the pack is completely full. Keep it cool even in summer.
- Large Capacity & Multi-Compartment Bookbag: College Backpack with 40L storage space(20.5inch x 13inch x 7.1inch), this backpack features a multi-compartment design that includes one main zipped compartment, one zipped front pockets, and two side pockets. One separator and one small zippered pocket in the main compartment are convenient enough to help you further organize things. Large capacity helps you easily organize all your essential items.
- Compact & Comfortable: It weighs only 1.9 pounds, can easily fold into its own pocket for storage, and unfold when you need it. Breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. A must-have for sports, hiking, camping, and traveling.
MOUNTAINTOP 70L/75L Internal Frame Hiking Backpack
Next in our list of the best hiking backpacks is the Mountaintop 70L/75L Internal Frame Hiking Backpack. Suitable for multi-day camping trips and more extensive hiking excursions, this hiking pack is on the larger side, able to accommodate winter weather gear, tents, food, and everything you’ll need on a longer camping stint. With a separate bottom compartment to house your sleeping bag, it’s incredibly convenient for setting up camp without having to dig through your gear. The included rain cover also makes it easy to travel in inclement weather.
- SIDE ZIPPERED POCKET & ZIPPERED ACCESS- One side of the pack has a side pocket, big enough for your jacket or umbrella. The other side has zippered access which can easily access the main compartment.
- Hip-belt adjustable length:79-155cm/31.1-61.0in. It's not typically worn at the waist, but somewhat lower, on the hips. It's often beneficial to comfort and balance to adjust belt position while hiking, so plan to occasionally use less than the full 61" as you reposition.
- Hydration Compartment: Separate bladder sleeve in the main compartment.Big enough or a 3 liters hydration bladder.
- The best way to carry a sleeping bag: You could use the front straps, or the top straps and secure the sleeping bag to the outside.
- Bottom Access: There is a divider between the sleeping bag compartment (at the bottom) and the main compartment at the top. You can access the main compartment from the bottom if needed.
Loowoko Hiking Backpack 50L Travel Camping Backpack With Rain Cover
The Loowoko Hiking Backpack is a mid-sized hiking backpack sporting a 50L capacity, making it large enough for multiday trips but also compact enough to meet most airline size requirements. Comfortable, durable, and equipped for a variety of purposes, the Loowoko 50L is a great hiking pack for travel of all kinds, whether you’re flying to another city or hiking out into the wilderness. It also includes a rain cover and eight adjustable straps for storing a variety of gear comfortably.
- 8 adjustable straps- for tying up your pack or hanging sleeping bag, mat, hammock, tripod, and other gears. Mesh side pockets, to keep your stuff separate and organized
- It meets size requirements for most airlines, enough room for 3 or 4 days trip
- Comfortable day pack: breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. Widened and thickened s-type shoulder straps and high elastic breathable back support for best ventilation and easing burden
- 50L waterproof backpack: A rain cover included. The Rip-stop polyester material can prevent the water from working its way into the bag
WintMing 70L Camping Hiking Backpack
The WintMing 70L Hiking Backpack is a tactical hiking pack outfitted with a Molle external expansion system designed to allow you to attach a variety of gear and even other containers to your pack. This unique system of storage allows for customization and expandability for a variety of uses. The 70L capacity makes this hiking backpack great for longer excursions, and the adjustable straps and breathable mesh with plentiful sponge padding still make it a solid choice for day trips. This WintMing hiking backpack also features a variety of pockets in varying sizes for water bottles, umbrellas, books, and of course smaller items like your sunglasses and smartphone.
- Hiking Backpack Structure: The 70L large capacity camping backpack, main storage bag with elastic drawstrings that can expand the pack, it's roomy enough for you to put in a sleeping bag, mat, hammock or shoes and luggage, one laptop compartment, one front zipper pocket and two side pockets for water bottle or umbrella.
- Molle System Assault Backpacks: Molle external expansion system designed to be used in attach other hiking gear, you can load pockets, water bottle bag, accessory kits, and others. As a 3-day assault pack, bug-out bag backpack, or camping hiking backpack. Assault pack backpack
- Waterproof Fabric: Tactical military rucksack made of 600D oxford fabric and water-resistant material, it is more durable and anti-scratch than traditional hiking backpack, belt, and high-quality zipper, tearable and durable.
- Comfortable Daypack: Adjustable and breathable mesh shoulder straps with plentiful sponge padding help relieve the stress from your shoulder. Widened and thickened S-type shoulder straps and high elastic breathable back support for best ventilation and easing burden.
- Size & Lightweight: Dimension 13.4*6.7*28.75 inches (L x W x H ); This mountaineering backpack weighs only 2.86lb / 1.3 kg for easy carrying, and adding no burden to your travel.
Desert Sky from AZ Pro Outdoors 3-Way Backpack Series 40L
Another ultralight backpack on our list of hiking backpack reviews is the Desert Sky pack from AZ Pro Outdoors. With a middling 40L capacity and a padded laptop sleeve, this is one of the better hiking packs for airline travel. Dutifully designed for daily use on and off the trail, the Desert Sky hiking backpack features breathable lumbar and shoulder support for added comfort, as well as four spacious compartments for organizing your gear. The stretch-to-fit rain cover means you won’t have to stop when the weather gets rough, and the fleece-lined top pouch makes sure you never lose your most important items.
- HIKING DAY PACK - great for hiking/trekking and designed for durability, comfort, and functionality - Rugged, Attractive, Rip-Stop Nylon Material
- BREATHABLE LUMBAR & SHOULDER SUPPORT with upgraded padding for a cool, comfortable carry Adjustable Chest Straps with Built-In Survival Whistle
- HYDRATION SYSTEM with a bladder sleeve and convenient Left & Right-handed Pipe Clamps (bladder not included)
- FOUR SPACIOUS COMPARTMENTS to organize gear; Stretch-to-Fit Rain Cover to keep Gear Dry in the Worst Downpour
- FRONT PANEL BUNGEE SYSTEM, Convenient Hiking Pole Loop Attachments, and Top & Bottom Compression Straps Holds Bedroll Firmly In Place
- TRAVEL/LAPTOP COMPUTER BAG - Meets Carry-On Requirement for most Airlines - padded laptop/tablet sleeve (fits up to most 15" laptops) - Durable Easy Open YKK Zippers make it a breeze to get through Security
- FLEECE-LINED TOP POUCH for access to Keys, Sunglasses - Dual Stretch Water Bottle Pockets and Adjustable Side Straps expanding up to 40 Liters
G4Free 50L Hiking Backpack
The G4Free 50L Hiking Backpack is another excellent option for use on and off the trail. One of the cooler features of this lightweight backpack is a USB port for easily charging your phone and other devices. The G4Free hiking pack also features an included rain cover for inclement weather, a variety of pockets to carry hiking gear or everyday items, and a compartment to install your own hydration bladder.
- Durable Material - The material of the 50L hiking backpack is Waterproof Nylon, high-quality SBS pull string zippers, good ventilation, no deformation, super versatile, and multi-functional. Large Bearing Capacity: (Maximum)50L. Size: 14.2 x 9.4 x 23.6 inches. Size: 14.2 x 9.4 x 23.6 inches.
- Many Pockets - The travel backpack is so large and roomy. One Large Front Zipper Pocket for quick access and one large deep main pocket as well as one SPECIAL ZIPPER POCKET for shoes or dirty clothes. There also comes with 1 bottom rain cover pocket INCLUDE RAIN COVER. 2 Hipbelt Pockets could accommodate cell phone/MP3 player and 2 Side Pockets for bottles or umbrella.
- Hydration Bladder Compartment - There is a compartment in the main pocket designed for putting Hydration Bladder, keeping you hydrated for a day. A great travel backpack for various sports activities, such as climbing, hiking, camping, backpacking, traveling, etc. Hydration Bladder is NOT INCLUDED.
- Comfortable Strap - Breathable Mesh Back Panel makes the heat quickly spread out, breathable perspiration and resistance to sweat make your back feel pretty comfortable when you carry the backpack for a long time. The design of Thick Shoulder Straps relieves weight on the shoulder.
- Include Rain Cover - The hiking backpack with rain cover can protect your stuff from the rain. There is a big room for a Hydration Bladder, your iPad, mobile phone, A4 documents, books, magazines, and other accessories; Multiple attachments and straps for hanging tools, trekking poles, tents, sleeping bags, and other items. And all these items can be protected from rain!
Kelty Coyote 60-105 Liter Backpack
When it’s time for a bigger adventure, you’re gonna need a bigger pack. Enter the Kelty Coyote 60-105L hiking backpack. This versatile trekking pack is the flagship design from Kelty that’s now been fully redesigned for 2021 and beyond. Sporting Kelty’s signature wing pockets and a variety of other compartments, you’ll have what you need when you need it most. With its Fit Pro technology, you can quickly adjust the pack to fit your body.
- 60 - 105 Liter Variations Available: Ample storage for all your essential gear. 5lb 8oz empty weight, 38 x 22 x 14 inches, optimal carry weight 50-70 pounds.
- Versatile Pack: The Coyote is the flagship trekking pack from the bright minds over at Kelty. Fully featured and re-designed for 2020, the Coyote features an advanced perimeter frame for supreme stability on the trail.
- Plenty of Pockets: Kelty Signature wing pockets, two front zippered pockets, and large J-zip top-loading access to the main compartment. Daisy chains, water bottle pockets, and sleeping bag compartment keep everything tidy on the trail.
- Tailored Fit: A thru hiker’s dream, the Coyote features the new Fit Pro technology, providing a quick and customized torso fit for each user. Fit pro can be adjusted on the fly with ease when shedding layers or passing off your pack.
- Amp Flow: Sweaty backs? Not here. The Amp Flow ventilated back panel will keep you cool and dry on long jaunts in the wild. Aluminum Stay in the external frame keeps your load secure and balanced, for a stable and comfortable hike.
- Built to Last: Kelty is synonymous with quality in the outdoor community for good reason. Kelty gear is built for play and built to last. Your coyote backpack is ready to be put through the wringer on the trail, airport, and everywhere in between.
Osprey Daylite Plus Daypack
Last but not least in our list of the best hiking backpacks is the Osprey Daylite Plus hiking backpack. This ultralight backpack is as at home on the trail as it is on a trip to the supermarket, with a lightweight design and a variety of colors to choose from. One unique feature is the ability to attach your Daylite to larger packs and travel bags for use as a separate pod pack on day trips away from camp. Featuring a large panel-loading main compartment, a plethora of side mesh pockets, and a multifunctional interior sleeve, there’s no shortage of storage options in this lightweight backpack from the venerable Osprey.
- Large panel loading main compartment provides accessibility to inside contents
- Dual stretch mesh side pockets provide additional storage options
- The multi-function interior sleeve can be used for either a hydration reservoir or tablet
- The front panel shove-it pocket is great for stashing a light rain shell and other smaller items
- Mesh-covered die-cut foam back panel provides both comfort and ventilation.
- Total volume: 20L - Attaches to a variety of compatible Osprey packs