by Jon Lindquist | Last updated February 2, 2017
Roll back the years… It’s human nature to look forward to newer technologies, time saving techniques, and achieving as much automation and comfort as possible. Unfortunately, in our endeavor to constantly look forward, we tend to abate the use of somewhat older and safer techniques.
Things aren’t too different when it comes to the use of razors. With all the fascination (thanks to insane and outstanding marketing) of flex ball technologies that promise to kiss your skin at all times with 4 blade or 5 blades, attractive packaging, and the latest addition of being automatic razors, these have surely dented the straight razor arena.
Best Straight Razors 2017
Let’s get down to the basics. Why do we shave? Yeah, it sounds cliché, but that’s enough to trigger your grey cells to think why at all do we need to burn a hole in our pockets for something that is as basic as removing our facial hair? All you need is a good old clean shave!
And believe us, straight razors are hands down winners when it comes to a clean shave. They give the cleanest and closest shaves in the history of mankind. No matter what technologies companies come up with, no matter how many pennies you shell out for the latest razors, there’s nothing more uncomplicated and sharp as a straight razor. And there won’t be one.
Enough said, let’s have a look at the benefits of the razors that our forefathers used:
Provides the cleanest and closest shave – Isn’t that the most basic prerequisite of a razor? It may take a few attempts to master the art of shaving with a straight razor, but the quality of the shave is unmatched.
No more razor rashes and skin irritation – The lesser the time the razor spends on your skin, the lesser the irritation. A straight razor gives you a perfect shave much faster than any other razor. Fewer strokes are required and hence you save your skin from post shave irritation. The slim design and symmetry of safety razors offers better access to the tough-to-shave areas of your face.
They last a lifetime – While the initial investments on a high quality straight razor is definitely quite high, consider the fact that they are hassle free and last for many, many years (with proper care, of course). They actually end up saving you big bucks in the long run.
The benefits of using a straight razor are being rediscovered. Let’s have a look at the top 10 straight razors available in the market right now.
The craftsmanship that goes behind in making a Dovo razor is unbelievable. When it comes to Dovo, they are like the experienced and seasoned player that is essential to the success of any team. They are reliable, easy to maintain and most importantly, the Solingen steel blades are simply amazing.
So what do you get in the Dovo Straight razor shaving set? Here’s what’s inside:
Dovo Straight Razor in a hollow ground sealed packing.
Marvy Classic Shaving shop for lather foaming.
Haryali brand leather bag.
6000 grit Japanese water stone.
Conditioning Paste, Badger Hair Shaving & Steel Bowl.
Product Dimensions: 12 x 2 x 6 inches; 3 pounds
Shipping Weight: 4 pounds
Dovo has been a reliable player in the safety razor arena. Their super impressive and super sharp blades give you the cleanest shaves day in and day out. While it can take some time to master the art of using straight razors, it certainly worth the investment, both money and time wise.
- What you see is what you get. No deception
- High quality German Solingen steel blade
- Works fairly well for beginners as well as professionals
- Ready to use razor
- Light weight, aesthetic & impressive material selection
- Plastic case razor holder
- 6000 grit water stone not of highest quality
The Historic 6/8 Mimosa Wood handled straight razor an outstanding, high performance bet. Made in France, this straight razor offers a superior shave thanks to an amazingly sharp 100% Carbon steel blade. The product comes with warranty and certificate of origin. The handle is Mimosa snake wood handle which is 17cms long. There is a 14.8cms anti slip knurling on the lower side of the tang. The grip is firm and comfortable; the blade is mirror finished and the gold marking on the blade- all in all a clear winner!
Close size: 17 cm Mimosa wood (snake-wood) handle
14.8cms Anti-slip knurling on lower side of the tang
Shipping weight: 1.8 ounces
The Historic Mimosa wood handle straight razor is clear winner in every category. Super sharp steel blade, firm grip even with wet hands, and long lasting, aesthetic and sleek design- this product doesn’t disappoint in any segment whatsoever. You won’t regret shelling out your money for this one!
- High quality 100% Carbon steel blade
- Mimosa wood handle looks great and is built to last
- Grip is firm and secure
- Aesthetic design
- Price on the higher end of the spectrum
Dovo is a German giant when it comes to razors and especially straight razors. The Dovo Renaissance straight razor is handmade in Germany with Solingen super sharp steel blade. The handle is made from Spanish oak and is completely hollow. The blade has a beautiful gold logo engraved on it. When doing our Dovo straight razor review, we decided that basically all Dovo products are highly reliable and ready to use.
6/8″ blade width
Shipping weight: 4.8 ounces
You can and will never go wrong with Dovo. The renaissance is no different. The super sharp Solingen steel blade is sure to give you the cleanest look, while the rich tapestry like design and cross sword gold artwork gives it a premium look. You won’t regret this beast!
- Super sharp razor gives clean shave
- Product design made with reasonable dexterity
- Spanish oak handle looks stylish and aesthetic
- Gold cross sword design shines and gives a premium look
- Razor requires pre-horning before first time use
Immaculately crafted by Kai, this Japanese shavette has a stainless steel head and a matte aluminum and grey silicon handle. Kai’s refill blades like the Titan Mild or the Titan Mild Pro-touch work wonders with this piece of Japanese brilliance.
Cleaning the blade is finally a cakewalk with Kai’s J type razor as it has a completely removable head.
Shipping weight: 4 ounces
Matte stainless steel head
Kai’s Captain Excelia Straight J-type razor is an out and out winner. With great material selection, to precise and immaculate design and the completely removable head are the USPs of this product. Most customers reverberates the same thing when it comes to Kai’s Excelia Straight razor- “Great product. No complains”. This product is value for money. You can’t go wrong with this one!
- Completely removable head facilitates the cleaning process
- Precision designing with no space left between blade and holder where lather accumulates
- Sturdy, built to last thanks to the use of high quality materials
- Comfortable shaving experience guaranteed
- The handle is partially steel and partially rubber
The 188 Blue Micarta Spartacus from France is truly a superb straight razor. The blade is C135 carbon steel. The razor’s name is engraved in gold leaf on the blade with a mirror finish. The handle has a classic denim look to it. Jimps ensure a secure and firm grip. The razor comes packaged in a leather pouch, handmade in France.
Blade Type: Fully hollow-ground C135 carbon steel; rounded French nose, razor name in gold leaf, and a mirror finish
Blade Size: 6/8“
This French made Straight razor is a high quality product that is sure to give you a pleasurable shaving experience. It is well balanced, with an overall great and unique design, and undoubtedly provides a confident and secure grip. This is definitely a value for money product.
- The C135 blade is super sharp and ensures a clean shave
- The gold leaf impression gives a premium look to the razor. Denim finish handle looks stylish and attractive
- Well balanced with unique nose for precise and detailed shaving experience
- The handle is sturdy and long lasting
- The product is slightly costly compared to its competitors
The 4/8” straight razor with horn scales by Erbe is handmade in Solingen, Germany. Solingen is world famous for the quality of steel resources they have. The handle, made from stag horn is simply outstanding, and that’s putting it mildly. You will never run out of admiration for the stag horn handle. The Solingen Steel blade is extremely sharp and offers clean and precise shaving experience.
Blade Width: 4/8″
Blade Size: 105mm
Shipping weight: 2.9 ounces
You can never go wrong with a blade made from Solingen steel and a handle made from stag horn, can you? Overall, a great product provides absolute value for money and definitely long lasting.
- Solingen steel blade is super sharp and provides picture perfect clean shaves
- The handle is one of a kind, made from stag horn and offers an effortless grip
- Not recommended for beginners
Made in Solingen, this 5/8” carbon steel blade is simply outstanding. Carbon grade steel compared to stainless steel provides better and cleaner shaves. Boker is one of the leading players in the straight razor market, and USA Edelweiss is one its finest products. Adroitly crafted, high precision and great quality blade make this razor impossible to ignore for professionals as well as beginners.
The handle is made from natural white bone. It is comfortable to hold and provides a firm and confident grip even if your hands are wet. With great power, come great responsibilities. With such a high quality and sharp blade, it’s only apt that the handle and the grip are equally good. Boker doesn’t disappoint in this regard.
Boker Edelweiss Specifications:
Blade Material: Carbon Steel.
Handle Material: White Bone
Shipping weight: 2.4 ounces
Boker Edelweiss has all the ingredients to be a blockbuster straight razor. All brownie points for its high quality carbon blade, firm grip, stylish, beautiful, and superior performance. It’s certainly has a high on return-on- investment index.
- 100% Carbon grade blade provides sharp, clean and unmatched shaves
- High quality grip, easy and comfortable to handle
- The Edelwiess mark on the blade looks stylish and premium
- Boker Edelweiss is a bit costly compared to other straight razors, but honestly speaking, it’s worth the investment
- Not ideal for beginners due to extremely sharp nature of the blade
DOVO Forestal has a Swedish grade steel blade and Cocobolo wood handle. This straight razor is delicate yet very sharp. The Cocobolo wood handle is one of a kind and is simply outstanding. The handle is shiny, looks well oiled, resists moisture and is extremely sturdy and long standing.
Dovo dawns from Solingen in Germany. The place Solingen has become synonymous with high quality razor blades and things are no different with Dovo Forestal Razor set.
The razor set contains the following items- Free Lifetime Hone, Strop and Polishing; Leather and Cloth Strop; Leather Stamped Travel Pouch; Premium Shaving Mug; Premium Shaving Brush; Premium Shaving Soap.
Dovo Straight Razor Review:
Shipping weight: 1.7 ounces
Straight razor with 5/8″ blade
Dovo is the leading razor maker in the world, and Dovo Forestal is one their finest products till date. You will admire the Cocobolo wood handle till eternity, while the sharp blade and file jimps ensure clean and hassle free shaves every morning. Light in weight and high on style – You won’t regret this set!
- Cocobolo wood handle is the finest-in-class and is highly impressive
- Blade has a beautiful design etched in 24K gold on the blade
- Sharp blade ensures clean shaves
- Dovo handcrafts their razors through a process of blank forging, ice tempering, hardening, honing and polishing
- Not ideal for beginners because of sharp nature of blade
It’s hard to look beyond Dovo when you are searching for a quality razor. Immaculate craftsmanship, precision manufacturing, sharp Solingen steel blade and a firm confident grip are some of the outstanding features that Dovo razors offer. Dovo Bergischer Lowe is no different. Dovo Bergischer is a 5/8” full hollow carbon steel blade razor with a Spanish point on the blade for better control of the tip and superior functionality. The blade is spectacularly mirror finished with gold etched marking on the blade which adds a premium touch to it.
Shipping weight: 4.2 ounces.
Material: Carbon steel
Grind: Full Hollow
Scales: Buffalo horn
Markings: Gold etching on blade and spine
Over the years Solingen in Germany has acquired legendary status when it comes to steel and razor manufacturing. Dovo products are hand made in Solingen and thus are exceptional. The Dovo Bergischer comes with a Spanish tip, buffalo horn handle, 5/8” blade, full hollow grind, gold etched marking and mirror finish and an extremely sharp blade- has all the ingredients for a picture perfect straight razor.
- Solingen carbon steel blade which offers superior shaving experience
- Spanish point for better control of tip and outstanding functionality
- Mirror finish and gold etched marking enhances the aesthetic quotient of the razor
- Buffalo horn handle
- The tip is quite sharp and hence is not recommended for beginners
The 188 Olivewood Spartacus F-Nose straight razor is truly an exceptional one. It is lightweight, with a slim and sleek design and its USP is its nose which positions the blade effortlessly to offer a smooth shaving experience. The blade is made from full hollow ground C-135 steel with a rounded French nose. The jimps ensure a firm and confident grip, etched with “Theirs Issard” which looks quite stunning. The razor comes in a leather pouch, handmade in France.
C-135 steel blade
If you are a professional and looking for something stylish, lightweight, with superior grip and shaving experience, the 188 Olivewood Spartacus F-nose undoubtedly augments well for you. Although the price is slightly on the higher end, it’s totally worth it.
- Jimps ensure a superior and confident grip
- Lightweight, sleek design
- French nose allows the blade to be positioned effortlessly and offers a superior shaving experience
- C-135 steel blade is sharp and shiny
- “Theirs Issard” mark looks stylish and appealing
- Not recommended for beginners
- Bit costly compared to similar products
Recent 180 Reviews
- Best Straight Razors 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Saltwater Trolling Motors 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Portable Bleachers 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Electric All-Terrain Vehicles 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best DJ Mixers – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide 2017
- Best Kneeboards 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide