by Jon Lindquist | Last updated February 11, 2017
A kneeboard is sort of a special piece of extreme sporting equipment that is great for beginners, intermediaries, and experts of water games. Quite different to wake-boarding and water-skiing, knee boarding involves towing behind a high-speed boat while kneeling on a specially designed board and balancing properly to avoid falling off. As a benefit to my awkwardness in the water, a kneeboard is actually pretty safe and comfortable for beginners who are trying to learn stunts and tricks, due to its ability to act as a buoy and a flotation device that keeps you afloat in case things go bad. (Of course, be sure to wear vest and floaties!)
Best Kneeboards 2017
Beginners building their career in the knee boarding arena should consider using kneeboards made from roto or hard plastic for safety purposes. However, as you advance up the ladder, you’ll learn about more advanced units which are more durable, more responsive and more inspiring in terms of design and construction.
Unlike other water sports such as water-skiing, knee-boarding is a very interesting sport which doesn’t require complex physical skills. This sport is perfect for young kids, water-sport novices, and enthusiasts who enjoy knee-boarding whenever they visit the beach side. Having recognized this fact, customers are therefore required to make an informed decision when selecting the type of boards they believe will be perfect for their activities. To simplify everything for you, we will discuss some basic factors you’ll need to consider when choosing the best kneeboards for you.
Types of Kneeboard
The first thing you need to understand when choosing a kneeboard is the type of board you intend to purchase. There are two known types of kneeboards available in the market which include recreational and competition kneeboards.
- Recreational kneeboards — Simple, light and smooth kneeboards that are mostly intended for beginners and young children building their career in the watersports arena. These boards are usually soft, cost-friendly, and fun to ride on thanks to the sleek edges that offer enough space to turn and perform amateur stunts. These kneeboards are roto-molded and are designed to act as flotation buoys for riders who are not perfect at swimming.
- Competition kneeboards — Unlike their recreational counterparts, competition kneeboards are very expensive and come with several improvements for better performance. These boards are designed with quality materials such as fiberglass to make them more responsive when skating. They’re usually light weight, thin, and curvy, making it easier for expert athletes to perform sharp turns and quality stunts without any limitations. Competition kneeboards are also very different from their recreation counterparts because they’re less buoyant.
In addition to the type of kneeboard, a customer looking for a perfect board should also consider the style. There are two major kneeboard styles available in the market which includes slalom boards and trick boards.
- Slalom boards are very common and are designed for slalom boarding. These kneeboards come with sharper edges and flat bottoms to provide better turning, smooth riding and advanced stunts when towing behind a boat at high speed.
- On the other hand, trick boards are used for performing tricks and dare-devil stunts when towing behind a speed-boat. These kneeboards are designed with rounded bottoms and sharp edges to make it smooth and easier for athletes to do what they do best.
In addition to the two factors discussed above, customers looking for a quality kneeboard should consider some key features, such as the materials, the fins and the rockers.
- Materials — Kneeboards are categorized into either competition or recreational boards. Both of these kneeboards are designed with different materials which improve their performance and usability. For instance, competition boards are designed with fiberglass shells that make them light, compact, and more responsive. On the other hand, recreational kneeboards are intended for beginners/armatures and are mostly designed with traditional materials, such as hard plastics.
- Fins — Depending on your intentions, a kneeboard may contain fins or not. Apart from being designed with rounded bottoms and sleek edges, boards also come with fins at the bottom to assist professional athletes in making dare-devil stunts and curves.
- The Rockers—another key feature you need to consider when purchasing a kneeboard is the rocker numbers. Rockers (which refer to the curvature at the bottom of the kneeboard) determine how fast and swift your board is intended to ski. A kneeboard with high rocker numbers is easy to turn, while one with lower rocker numbers is usually faster and very swift to move.
Having said that, this guide will go ahead to review some of the best kneeboards available in the market.
Children and beginners in the watersports arena are always curious to master how kneeboards work. In the process of quenching their curiosity, such people mostly suffer the risk of drowning when trying to make dare-devil stunts. To avoid such accidents, Hydroslide has introduced a classic sleek kneeboard known as Magna Kneeboard.
The Hydroslide Magna Kneeboard is a 2016 upgraded version of the latter Magna Kneeboard manufactured in 2014. This unit is designed with kids and beginners in mind thanks to the addition of special safety features which make it perfect for all purpose use. The Magna Kneeboard is designed with simple features which include thin edges, an EVA pad with deep knee well for control, a hydrohook for easy control and a classic shape that makes it perfect for beginner and intermediate riders.
There’s a lot we can discuss about the Magna Kneeboard but let’s just highlight what we liked about this unit.
- Designed for beginners, the Magna Kneeboard plays a double role both as a board and as a floatation buoy.
- This kneeboard is designed with a deep curvy surface that allows kids, beginners and intermediaries to board without any inconveniences.
- With a light weight of 11 pounds, the Magna Kneeboard has the capacity to endure a maximum weight of 120 pounds.
- The curvy sleek design of this kneeboard makes it perfect for beginners looking forward to learn new jumps and tricks.
- This unit is made in the U.S.A. and is available with a good customer warranty.
Although the Magna Kneeboard performs well when it comes to stunts and tricks, most customers have overlooked it due to its design. According to most customers, this unit is designed for kids and beginners and not for expert boarders due to its heavy weight and lack of key features. Other than that, this kneeboard is one of the best you can ever think of if you’re a beginner looking forward to advance your skills to the next level.
- Designed for beginners
- Good warranty
- Limited agility for maneuvering and stunts
- Light weight, under 120-pound max
Having teamed up with Ted Bevelacqua, O’Brien has managed to produce one of the most dominant and inspiring kneeboards in the market. The Rush 5150 is the latest version of kneeboards that has been developed as a result of a merger between two giant manufacturers in the kneeboards arena. Unlike our previous kneeboard, the Rush 5150 is intended for expert competitors who have larger bodies and loads of quality skills to shore case when boarding.
The O’Brien Rush 5150 is an outstanding piece of equipment that comes with quality features for passionate expert boarders. This kneeboard is designed with hand-shaped edge bevels that provide a smooth ride, a well designed surface that provides sufficient lift, very sleek edges for maneuverability and an increased size to help accommodate large boarders.
Some notable advantages we found about the Rush 5150 include;
- A large template outline that makes it perfect for both small and large riders.
- This kneeboard is designed with deep knee wells and an outstanding EVA construction that make it extremely easy to ride and control.
- The Rush 5150 is designed with a versatile construction that allows it to ride both forward and backwards without any problems.
- The Rush 5150 is also designed with sleek edges that make it perfect for both amateur and professional riders.
Finally, there’s a lot we can talk about regarding the Rush 5150. Unlike our first unit which is only limited to beginners, the Rush 5150 is designed for both amature and professional riders. This kneeboard is stiff, large, compact and has deep shock absorbing knee wells that allows expert riders to perform dare-devil stunts without any uncertainties.
- Large template design
- Designed for both amateur and professionals
- Price on the higher end of the spectrum
Earlier in this guide, we reviewed the Magna Kneeboard manufactured by Hydroslide. Now, we have another similar kneeboard manufactured by the same company only that it’s intended for adult expert riders. The Hydroslide PRO-XLT Kneeboard is the board we’re going to review in this section. For so long, adult expert riders have been searching for a quality kneeboard that’s capable of quenching their desire to perform dare-devil stunts and tricks.
The PRO-XLT Kneeboard has been designed with heavy-duty features that make it perfect for all expert riders. According to most customers, this unit is not only responsive but it’s also available at a ridiculously cheap price considering the many benefits it offers. The PRO-XLT Kneeboard is designed with deep EVA pad knee wells, padded knee straps and slim edges that make it easier for expert riders to perform their desired stunts and tricks while towing behind a speed boat.
What are some of the pros we discovered about the PRO-XLT Kneeboard?
- The PRO-XLT Kneeboard is very easy to ride on even for beginners thanks to the retractable fins at the bottom.
- This kneeboard comes with an adjustable Velcro strap that allows users to loosen or tighten it with just one hand.
- This kneeboard is designed with deep knee wells which are perfectly cushioned to make it comfortable for expert riders to stroll.
- The PRO-XLT Kneeboard has a light weight of just 14 pounds making it perfect for performing stunts and tricks.
Although the PRO-XLT Kneeboard has been welcomed with positive criticism from majority of customers, some of these customers have complained about the construction stating that the screws holding the fins are weak and easy to break up. Another concern about this unit is that it’s only sold within the United States making it un-accessible to customers in other locations.
All in all, if you’re living within the U.S.A. and are looking for a quality kneeboard that’s enough to fulfill all your boarding dreams without spending much, the PRO-XLT Kneeboard is the best alternative to consider. This kneeboard is available at an affordable price and it comes with outstanding features that are worth trying. Next time you happen to visit your local store to purchase a quality kneeboard; don’t hesitate to go for the PRO-XLT Kneeboard.
- Easy to ride
- Retractable fins
- Velcro strap
- Noted some undesirable weak fin screws
- No international shipping
The O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard is one of the latest units available in the market for 2017. According to most experienced boarders, this latest entry kneeboard is the perfect transition board for beginners who’re looking forward to advance their skills to the next level. This high-performance kneeboard was designed by O’Brien with the aim of taking pro-level performance to a new level without spending much.
Paying our attention on the O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard, allow me to say that this board is constructed with respectable features which are only available to those flagship boards in the market. Just to mention a few, this kneeboard is designed with a light weight of 15 pounds, very sleek edges, a pronounced V-hull and retractable fins at the bottom for easy maneuverability. Available with padded straps, an integrated hook and a quad-fin flex back, the O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard is the perfect choice for both intermediaries and professional knee-boarders looking forward to advance their boarding skills.
Advantages of the O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard
- The O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard is designed from fiberglass material that makes it a high-performance product meant for professional boarders.
- This kneeboard is molded with a very unique design that makes it easier for expert boarders to perform stunts and tricks without making any errors.
- This kneeboard has a 3-inch adjustable padded strap that’s very easy to tighten or loosen even with one hand.
- According to most experienced customers, the O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard is maneuverable and very responsive thanks to the pronounced V-hull and retractable fins.
- Finally, the O’Brien Ricochet Kneeboard is the latest design and is available at a budget price.
Although O’Brien is one of the giant companies that manufacture the best high-performance kneeboards in the market, there have been some complaints regarding this unit especially to foreign customers. First, this kneeboard is designed with boring graphics that are not inspiring and secondly, it’s only limited to customers living within the United States.
All in all, I would like to recommend this kneeboard to all intermediaries and professional boarders due to its spectacular features that are only available in flagship kneeboards. Manufactured by O’Brien—one of the best selling companies—this kneeboard is simple, comfortable, durable and budget friendly.
- Good price point
- Built for next-step boarders
- Fiberglass material
- Limited design
- Limited availability
It’s very annoying to watch other boarders towing behind speed boats while sliding up and down the water to their satisfaction. In fact, it’s even more frustrating to watch amateur boarders trying to perform dare-devil stunts at the comfort of their kneeboards. Well, to avoid such uncertainties, Hydroslide has come to your rescue and released the latest version of Hydroslide kneeboards known as the Phantom Kneeboard.
There were multiple considerations Hydroslide checked on before designing the Phantom Kneeboard. One of them includes customers’ satisfaction because most kneeboards today are intended for professional boarders, not amateurs. In order to build their name in the market, Hydroslide had to design the Phantom Kneeboard with amazing features which are friendly to all amateur and beginner boardes in the arena. Quite different from the competition, the Phantom Kneeboard is very light (16 pounds) and is designed with sleek dimensions of 52×20.8×4.5 inches and is capable of enduring a maximum weight of up to 250 pounds. Available with deep knee wells, 3 inch padded straps, a perforated surface and sleek edges, the Phantom Kneeboard is what amateur and beginner boarders should look up to in 2017.
Now, a lot has been said about this board. Without wasting any time, let’s look at the advantages.
- The Phantom Kneeboard is designed with a plastic roto design that allows it to function as a floatation buoy for kids and amateur boarders .
- The Phantom Kneeboard is constructed with a twin tip design that makes it very easy for beginners to perform stunts while cutting through water.
- The twin tip design also allows this kneeboard to maneuver swiftly through the water without being dragged or pulled by the reaction force.
- The 3 inch padded strap and hydrohook tow point allows beginner boarders to ride through water without falling off.
- This kneeboard is more dynamic and is recommended for both beginner and intermediate boarders.
Although the Phantom Kneeboard is one of the best high-performance boards out there, there are some minor setbacks we didn’t like about it. First, it’s only sold within the United States, and lastly, its heavy-duty design makes it more preferable to expert adult riders than young amateur boarders.
All in all, the Phantom Kneeboard is definitely one of the best kneeboards worth purchasing this summer. Although it’s intended for adult boarders and not youth or kids, this board has a lot to offer to expert boarders looking forward to advance their skills. The features are outstanding, the performance is great and best of all, you don’t have to break the bank for you to buy this kneeboard. Available with a 5/5 star rating from two customers, the Phantom Kneeboard is one of the best boards for 2017.
- Plastic roto-design
- Twin tip design for cutting
- Not for beginners
- Limited international availability
There are different models of kneeboards available in the market today. Each of these models is designed for a specific category of boarders ranging from kids, amateurs, experts to adult professionals. While most boards are designed for expert boarders, the Razorback Kneeboard from Hydroslide is aimed to offer pleasure and everlasting fun to amateur and beginner boarders in the watersport arena.
Boarding has never been that easy with the use of Razorback Kneeboard. This unit is designed with amazing features that allows you to slide on water as if you were flying on the air. The Razorback Kneeboard is designed with quality features which boost its performance. It has a 3 inch padded shock strap, a hydro-hook, a thin profile and deep knee wells that make it safe for all boarders to ride on. Available with retractable fins for easy maneuverability, the Razorback Kneeboard is the perfect choice for customers looking for a high-performance kneeboard for 2017.
Advantages of the Hydroslide Razorback Kneeboard
- The Razorback Kneeboard has a light weight of 14 pounds, dimensions of 52×20.8×4.5 inches and is capable of holding a maximum weight of 250 pounds.
- Although it’s stated that this kneeboard is intended for adult riders, most customers have stated that even kids from age 9 are able to perfectly ski with this unit.
- The deep knee wells and the 3 inch padded strap has really converted this kneeboard from professional to an entry-level unit since beginners are adapting to it much faster.
- The Razorback Kneeboard is heavily padded making it comfortable and extremely safe for kids and beginners to board on.
- This kneeboard has a very unique construction that makes it super easy for experienced boarders to maneuver on water as they spin and show amazing tricks.
Although the Razorback Kneeboard is one of the best kneeboards in the market, majority of the customers have complained about the padded strap stating that the stitching came out after a few skating tries. I think if the manufacturer corrects this defect; the Razorback Kneeboard will definitely feature among the bestselling units in Amazon.
Finally as I conclude, let me say that the Razorback Kneeboard is a superior watersport board that deserves respects due to its high-performance. Experienced boarders and watersport enthusiasts have praised the performance of this kneeboard stating that its one of a kind. Jam-packed with special features and specs, the Razorback Kneeboard is a must have for all experienced boarders in the watersport arena.
- Holds weight up to 250 lbs
- Adult riders
- Great maneuverability
- Strap stitching is weak
Next in this guide, we reviewed the Kwik Tek AHKB-3 Wake Shaker Kneeboard. Though manufactured by a lesser known company, this kneeboard is perfect for all customers ranging from entry-level amateurs all the way to professional boarders. To ensure that Kwik Tek keeps the pace set by other flagship manufacturers, the company has designed the AHKB-3 Wake Shaker Kneeboard with high-performance features which are worth noting. Just to mention a few, let me say that this kneeboard is designed with a channeled bottom that makes it very easy to maneuver and negotiate corners while in the water. This kneeboard is designed with deep knee wells for comfort, a padded strap and of course a cheap price to make it affordable to all customers.
While there’s a lot to talk about regarding this kneeboard, we will spare the rest and look at the advantages of this unit
- One advantage with the Kwik Tek AHKB-3 Wake Shaker is that it’s recommended for all riders regardless of their level of experience.
- The deep knee wells provide added comfort and stability giving you maximum control over the kneeboard when skiing.
- The Kwik Tek AHKB-3 Wake Shaker is designed with an integrated EZ UP hook that makes it easier for beginners to stay upright after falling off.
- This kneeboard is designed with a unique channeled bottom that reduces drag thus increasing the speed of the board.
- According to most customers, this unit is very cheap and highly affordable to all customers.
Having reviewed the Kwik Tek AHKB-3 Wake Shaker, it’s evident that this kneeboard deserves to feature in the class of the elites due to its cool features. However, a number of customers have complained about some areas such as lack of speed and inability to perform dare-devil stunts and tricks. Also, a number of foreign customers have complained about the shipping restrictions of this kneeboard stating that its only limited to the United States.
Overall, the Kwik Tek AHKB-3 Wake Shaker may not be the top selling kneeboard in the market. However, the manufacturer has recognized this fact and has gone ahead to integrate special technologies and specs which are beneficial to all riders. As one of the most stylish, responsive and high-performance kneeboard in the market, the Kwik Tek AHKB-3 Wake Shaker is what armature and experienced boarders should go out for in 2017.
- Channeled bottom for maneuvering
- Great price point
- Limited international availability
Next, we reviewed the Driftsun Kneeboard 2016. Majority of beginners in the watersport arena have been complaining due to lack of quality kneeboards which can satisfy their armature skating needs. Today, it’s better if you start smiling because Driftsun has released an outstanding high-performance kneeboard that’s working perfectly well for beginners, intermediaries and expert boarders.
Whether you’re a beginner or a professional boarders, Driftsun Kneeboard 2016 allows you to perform stunts and tricks without struggling. What really makes this unit responsive is due to the presence of quality features that have been installed by the manufacturer to boost the performance. To begin with, this kneeboard is designed with an integrated hook that helps beginners and amateur boarders take off easily without wasting time. Secondly, most customers have appreciated the Bevel Edge design stating that it keeps this kneeboard close enough to the water for easy maneuverability. Finally, the Driftsun Kneeboard 2016 has an outstanding ¾ inch EVA foam padding that keeps you comfortable and safe when performing stunts and tricks.
Let’s now look at some advantages of the Driftsun Kneeboard 2016
- The Driftsun Kneeboard 2016 is perfect for both learners and expert riders. The manufacturer has added an integrated hook to help new riders adapt much faster.
- This kneeboard has a light weight of just 10 pounds making it the best unit for performing stunts and tricks.
- According to most customers, this kneeboard is very easy to master. Young kids from the age of nine are quickly learning how to watersport using this kneeboard.
- This kneeboard is available in the market at a reasonable price.
- The EVA foam padding on this kneeboard is thick and very comfortable to both kids and adult boarders.
Before we conclude, let me say that there are two major setbacks we noticed about the Driftsun Kneeboard 2016. First, most customers have complained about the padded strap stating that the plastic slot that holds it to the board broke off in the first attempt. Secondly, another set of customers have criticized the quality of the plastic board stating that it cracked when performing stunts.
All in all, the Driftsun Kneeboard 2016 is one of the best kneeboards in the watersports arena. Designed with quality features that favor both armature and expert boarders, this kneeboard has been the talk in most stores that sell watersport boards. The strong padding, low profile and swift maneuverability have been the major selling points of the Driftsun Kneeboard 2016.
- Light weight
- Integrated hook
- Good for beginners
- Overall quality – Weak strap, plastic structure
Of course everyone likes enjoying the hot summer in the Florida beaches with a unique high-performance kneeboard right? Now, have you ever travelled to various destinations around the world and faced an infuriating disappointment where your kneeboard cracks or the straps break without any notice? Well, Body Glove has come to the rescue and produced one of the best selling kneeboards in the market known as the Body Glove Kneeboard.
Designed for intermediate and expert boarders, the Body Glove Kneeboard is a unique and patented unit that allows you to enjoy everything from dare-devil stunts to unbelievable tricks while towing behind a speed boat. Of course no one likes to ski on a substandard kneeboard right? Therefore, the manufacturer has recognized this fact and designed the Body Glove Kneeboard with unique features that are not present in any other kneeboard in the market.
Without wasting any time, let’s highlight some specs and key benefits of the Body Glove Kneeboard
- The Body Glove Kneeboard is the perfect choice for intermediaries and experienced boarders looking forward to advancing their skills.
- This kneeboard has a light weight of just 11 pounds and sleek dimensions of 43×20×4.5 inches.
- Most users have appreciated the deep knee wells and the 3 inch padded strap stating that they hold you tight and keep you comfortable when performing stunts.
- This kneeboard has a very good manufacturer’s warranty that boosts customers’ confidence when making their purchase.
Although the Body Glove Kneeboard has been welcomed with all bells and whistles, there are a number of setbacks most customers didn’t like about this unit. Firstly, this kneeboard is only available within the United States. Secondly, it’s quite expensive making it affordable to high profile customers and finally, it’s only recommended for intermediate and professional boarders.
Finally as we conclude, let me say that the Body Glove Kneeboard is a quality high-performance kneeboard that’s suited for intermediate and expert boarders looking forward to advance their skills. Quite different from most other expert kneeboards in the market, the Body Glove Kneeboard comes loaded with all the bells and whistles that gives expert boarders the confidence to board and shore-case their skills for everyone to see.
- Light weight
- Good maneuverability
- Good warranty
- Limited international availability
- High price-point
Last but not least, we reviewed the O’Brien Rush Kneeboard. As one of the most dominant kneeboards in the market, the O’Brien Rush is designed with outstanding features that make it the perfect choice for learners, intermediate and experienced boarders. Quite similar to the O’Brien Rush 5150, this kneeboard features an integrated hook that makes it easier for beginners to ski and try some moves. The manufacturer has also added adjustable straps, deep knee wells and a ¾ inch EVA pad for comfort and added safety. Having been welcomed with a 4.7 star rating from 3 customers, the O’Brien Rush kneeboard is the best solution for all boarders looking forward to advance their skiing skills to a whole new level.
So, what are some of the Pros that customers have discovered about the O’Brien Rush?
- The O’Brien Rush has a perfect wide board that allows new-levelers to ski without experiencing any hardships.
- The board is designed with deep knee wells and a padded strap to allow beginners to ski comfortably.
- This board has an integrated hook and quad molded fins for easy maneuverability when performing stunts.
- The O’Brien Rush is fairly reasonable in price for the quality
Finally as we conclude, let me say that the O’Brien Rush is a new unit in the market and just a few customers have managed to purchase and experience its performance. Although there isn’t any negative critics regarding this kneeboard, I think if O’Brien expands their sales beyond the borders—to Europe and Asia—I can bet that most customers will have a chance to purchase and experience the high-performance this unit is able to offer. With a magnificent 4.7/5 star rating from 3 customers, the O’Brien Rush is among the elite kneeboards of 2017.
- Wide-board great for beginners
- Deep knee wells
- Integrated hook
- Higher price-point
Recent 180 Reviews
- Best Straight Razors 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Saltwater Trolling Motors 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Portable Bleachers 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best Electric All-Terrain Vehicles 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
- Best DJ Mixers – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide 2017
- Best Kneeboards 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide